Trials and Tribulations of Building a Prop
Here is my Jack and Zero made earlier last week. As with my Sleepy Hollowish Pumpkin (SHP), I made Jack out of paper mache, plaster and sealer. Unfortunately, when I was placing Jack’s head on his neck post, I dropped the head.
I noticed a slight crack and thought a little more sealer would do the trick.
A Crack Makes All the Difference
Since my SHP has lasted about 7 years and is still going strong, I didn’t think a little crack would be so devastating for Jack’s head, especially since it was sprayed with sealer. But after a week, Jack’s head was barely holding up.
I decided to make another head using brown lawn bags with my paper mache mix, fill the inside with canned foam, then plaster, paint and seal.
Using the brown paper made a wonderfully hard cast of the head and adding the foam was perfect. It’s had no problems as of yet with the elements and I think I finally got it right.
More photos of Jack and Zero will come later along with step-by-step instructions, so check back again in about a week.