I don’t know what it is about The Nightmare Before Christmas (NBC) that caught my attention. But since the movie came out, I’ve wanted to make every character for Halloween.
Jack Skellington was one of my first attempts. Now when I say attempts, I can honestly say, I’ve spent more time and effort making, remaking, and eventually, rebuilding him completely. Continue reading →
Jack and Zero need some prop friends. Which ones would you choose? Image courtesy of Marciniak Photography.
The beginning of summer is the opportune time to plan prop projects for Halloween. It gives a haunter the time and space to be more creative and allows for mishaps to be corrected. It allows for any reconstructions or cosmetic work to be completed in leisure – rather than a few panicked weeks.
Since I made Jack Skellington and his dog Zero last year, I’ve been contemplating what other characters to add. Jack’s girlfriend Sally, is at the top on my list. But how I will make her, is still up in the air.
I often make at least one new large Halloween prop a year. But there is often a sadness that occurs when I place my artistic endeavors in storage; especially since many times it had taken weeks to create.
This was the case a few years ago with my 16 foot pirate ship made from wood pallets. The week after Halloween passed I didn’t have the heart to tear it down. So I turned it into a Santa ship and took Davy Jones away. I filled the ship with an enormous bag of toys with Santa at the wheel.
A Halloween pirate ship before transformation. Photos courtesy of Debbie Morrow.
From pirate ship to Santa ship with the help of waterproof holographic paper and a little imagination.
The Ring girl well made from 40+ stones cast from plaster.
My Grinch now poking his head out of the well.
Jack and his dog Zero at Halloween.
Jack’s transformation into his Santa suit. I added a scarf and hat to Zero too.
With all of you watching my blunders in creating Jack Skellington, I thought an update would be a good idea. If you missed my Confessions of an Ignorant Creator, you should see what happens when a person doesn’t read directions. I’m sure a few of you will get a laugh out of it.
Otherwise, here are my updated photos and steps. I still have to create his bust and put together the PVC pipes for his body. But the hard and messy part is over.
Jack Skellington’s head base was made with paper mache over a beach ball.
Jack needed a lip edge and foam in a can did the job. When hardened, I cut off the excess.
White spray paint coated the head and outdoor black craft paint was used for the eyes. I used a permanent white paint marker to define the black edges of mouth.
One hand of Jack Skellington was made of pipe cleaners.
Instead of throwing away a stem left over from another project, I used this floral stem piece for one of Jack Skellington’s hands.
I used plastic grocery bags to bulk up the fingers and covered it with white duct tape.
The finished hands of Jack Skellington.
He’ll be at least 6 feet tall and I’m still debating how to make the big black curl he stands upon in the movie Nightmare Before Christmas.
I’m thinking of making it out of chicken fence and wrapping it in black plastic, but if you have a better idea, I’d love to hear it.
I added a lip of foam to accentuate Jack Skellington‘s lips. It will be sanded down to blend into the rest of the head. Photo courtesy of Debbie Morrow.
I’ve never professed that I’m an expert at my craft of creating frightful or delightful things.Today is another example of my ignorance and hope my less-than-knowledgeable creator friends can learn from my mistakes.
I’ve been working the past week on a Jack Skellington head that will be built into a life size character for my yard. I completed the paper mache, added eyes/nose features and covered it with a thin coat of plaster.
I was about to start sanding when I took a look at photos from the movie and decided to add a lip edge for his mouth. Instead of going back to plaster or my paper mache mix, I chose to use Touch and Foam Max Fill. It’s quick, easy and you can sand it within a very short period of time. I even had experience using it for other projects without any big issues.